About Me

My photo
Enjoy simple things in life, very outgoing, and easy to talk to. I like to read sometimes if its something that sparks my interest.

Friday, September 17, 2010

Masculinity: The Aspect of Men

According to an unabashed imitation of an article by Peggy Mcintosh, "The male privilege checklist." This checklist shows what "men" are suppose to be according to biological natural selection. Being able to just be a man and do certain things that females cannot. I chose one point out of the checklist which brought to my attention.

"#39, If I have children with a wife or girlfriend, and it turns out that one of us needs to make career sacrifices to raise the kids, chances are we'll both assume the career sacrificed should be hers."

My opinion to this:

I disagree with this point, speaking from a man's perspective, of woman having to sacrifice their job to stay home to raise their children. Yes, at first woman would need to nuture their baby when born as in breast-feeding to provide nbutrients and anti-bodies to help fight out infection. But after the phase of 6 months, when the baby get it's vaccines, there's still no reason why woman should sacrifice their career to take care of a baby. Even during the time of the 6 months. Woman can still nuture their baby, prepare breast-milk and have the husband feed the baby. I feel that the decision should be looked at which one of them has the most salary, and length history on the job. The couple should look at what would be best for their child. So it brings back to the point. I would have to say, that I disagree. Men can also sacrifice their job to stay home and take care of children. It's really based on the situation and how well the couple communicates with each other.

2 comments:

  1. You raise good points for both side of the debate. On the one hand, it is in the baby's best interest that the mother nurture, breast feed... Of course we have to remember that not all jobs offer maternity leave. Therefore, and this is another great point you make, in the end it comes down who, the man or woman, has the most to lose if he/she take time off from work to raise the child. More often than not, it happens to be the woman. Deutsch's list includes several points regarding this as well; one reads"34. The decision to hire me will never be based on assumptions about whether or not I might choose to have a family sometime soon" and another reads "12. If I have children and pursue a career, no one will think I’m selfish for not staying at home." Ideally every work place should furnish all employees, both male and female, with paternity/maternity leave. Unfortunately, because men are not expected to assume the role of child rearing, this significantly impacts their relationships with their children. I believe Sweden might be either the only one, or one of very few countries which provides paid paternity leave for male employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete